27 agosto 2007

Trocar o grandioso pelo fácil

Well fellow film lovers, something struck me these past weeks while reading the countless memories of Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni. Notable critics, writers and directors from every corner have been sharing the stories of their first encounters with the work of these two masters and each tale takes place inside a small, atmospheric art house theater surrounded by fellow film lovers. Of all the remembrances, no one has yet said, "I remember my first experience with Antonioni. His movies had a high rating on IMDb so I put a few of them into my Netflix queue." Yet for young cinephiles, VHS, DVD and downloading is the overwhelmingly popular way of experiencing the classics, and has been for some time. Not on a giant screen, surrounded by strangers, but on a small screen (and getting increasingly smaller with new technology) surrounded by friends, or sometimes by themselves. And I can't help but wonder, how is this difference shaping the current generation of movie lovers differently than their parents?



Sem comentários: